Council Minutes – Oct 24, 2013

Members Present: Dave Michalak, Fred Loveland, Julianne Klepfer, Mike Kuryla, Jim Muccio, Tim Skinner, Howard Streby, Rob Woods, Bill Hollister, Jason Detrani, David Zeggert, Nathan Walz, Meghan McGuiness, and Jason Detrani

Absent: Joe Spence

Meeting called to order at 3:03 PM

President’s Report:

  1. Minutes passed with 1 abstention (McGuiness)
  2. Dave needs volunteers for the Safety and Security Committee. We pick 4 and they select 2 of them. Volunteers: David Zeggert, Bill Hollister, Howard Streby, and Rob Woods. Dave will follow through.
  3. There is an MOU pending regarding the issue of date of hire. The Contract has language specifying actions if hired by September 1 or after September 1. However, an individual was hired on September 1 and could have been docked a week’s pay. We need to have something in writing in case this happens again. We are waiting for a draft proposal from the Administration.
  4. Wales Renovation Issue: TA’s were used as movers. Dave brought this up with Regina and Fran; it has been resolved. This work will be contracted with Rogers Trucking for when all the buildings are repopulated at the end of construction.
  5. Health Insurance Opt Outs: Eligible faculty should hear the week of November 11. Paperwork is due by November 26. This notice should go to everybody. Dave will send out a reminder to all faculty and check with HR on the language. All members should be “eligible.”
  6. Affirmative Action and Search Committee Makeup: Some issues have arisen around this. Who is the President’s designee? It should be a faculty member. The Affirmative Action representative should be ex officio? Or is that the President’s designee? We sent a draft proposal to the Administration stating that the President’s designee must be a tenured faculty member and the Affirmative Action representative should be ex officio. This has been past practice but we need to get it in writing.

Vice President’s Report:

  1. There are currently no grievances.
  2. Independent Study: Fred is working on proposals to Labor Management. On May 2012 the Trustees established a policy regarding Independent Study. However, the Faculty Association has the right to contractually amend policy. This new policy violated the intent of the contract.
  3. Part Time Adjuncts: Mike Lynch and Fred met with them.
    • They understand the need to be part of the Association.
    • We will try to keep their current hours under the ACA
    • They will get health benefits if they work 30 hours or more.
    • Unfortunately, they must pay dues and each school/college where they work.
    • This is a work in progress.
  4. Affordable Care Act: A tentative agreement has been reached.
    • 1 lecture credit hour = 2.6 clock hours
    • 1 contact hour = 2.06 contact hours
    • The threshold lecture load for part time adjuncts is 11.6 credit hours
    • There are still some things to be worked out, but we believe mostly it won’t negatively impact our members.
    • We will review the “look back” period for the Fall/2014 semester.
  5. PDRI: The draft MOU is waiting for Administration signatures.
  6. P & A Article 4 draft MOU is done—just waiting for signatures.
  7. Labor Management will meet next Thursday
    • Full Time Adjunct discussion pending
    • Will check on MOUs mentioned above
  8. FA leadership received drafts for two new faculty positions: Staff Associate for Web and Graphic Design and Staff Associate for Special Events and Productions. The positions will be searched and probably filled by fall.

Treasurer’s Report:

  1. Julie presented a set of documents indicating the FA Budget in three forms: last year’s budget, this year’s budget without increased officer stipends, this year’s budget with increased officer stipends. New budget including increased officer stipends was approved. (Motion: Shepard. Second: Streby)
    • Joe will sign the approved budget and it will be included with the minutes.
  2. Julie reported on the NYSUT workshop she attended.
    • The work should be “doable” for our Treasurer
    • Any three-five people can be on the Audit Committee
    – Can’t be from the Executive Committee
    – Could be on Representative Council
    • For the Audit: carbons of checks are not acceptable, only printouts. This is a problem since GHS doesn’t give checks. Dave and Julie will try to negotiate with them, but we may have to pay for a printout. Now that we know we will print off. Dave and Julie will develop an online account together to print off checks in the future.
    • Julie has a packet of information for the Auditors and will make it available to our members (she will tell NYSUT how she will make it available)
  3. We will approach the same three faculty as last time to do our audit.

NEW BUSINESS:

  • Suzanne Shepard announced that the Promotion and Appointment website is “live.” She thanked the members who came to the discussion the previous week and once again she thanked David Zeggert, Howard Streby, and David Michalak for all their hard work on this. Dave will send out an announcement to members.
  • Fred brought up the issue of “Seamless Transfer.” This is a dangerous precedent of the State beginning to dictate curriculum. Curriculum should be the purview of the faculty. He will craft a letter stating that as an association we oppose this mandate. It is a violation of Middle States. He will send it around for approval.
  • Fred also stated that we should have another all-member meeting before year’s end. Dave added that he would like to see this combined with a social hour. All agreed. We will aim for the “last week” of classes, perhaps in Decker if we can get it. Fred and Suzanne will organize.

The next Rep Council meeting is November 14th at 3:00 in room B-224.

Motion to adjourn made at 4:03 PM by J. Detrani, seconded by M. McGuiness. Unanimous.

Respectfully submitted,

Suzanne V. Shepard
Acting FA Secretary