Members Present: Dave Michalak, Fred Loveland, Julianne Klepfer, Michael Kuryla, Marula Lander, Jim Muccio, Tim Skinner, Rob Woods, Howard Streby, Bill Hollister, Suzanne Shepard, David Zeggert, Nathan Walz, Meghan McGuiness, Jason Detrani, and Joe Spence
Meeting called to order at 3:05 PM
- Motion to approve minutes by M. McGuiness, seconded by N. Walz. Passed unanimously.
- Dave asked H. Streby to schedule a meeting of the Negotiation Resource Committee. J. Spence designated as the Exec Council liaison to the committee.
- Dave introduced Bill Hollister, who gave an overview of a BCCFA website he has been developing. Included in discussion:
• Domain name/type. It was agreed that a “.org” name should be used. Bill indicated a $20 fee for that, which Bill would pay and submit for reimbursement. Motion was made by N. Walz, seconded by H. Streby to purchase the domain name. Passed unanimously.
• Rep Council discussed whether both dues and salary schedules should be posted. This was tabled for further discussion by Rep Council.
• Bill will continue to develop areas of the website and will return to Rep Council for further input and approval. He will also investigate the possibility of making Dental payments online.
- Dave and Mike Lynch met with the part-time adjuncts. NYSUT has required that we collect dues from all adjuncts. FA has negotiated with NYSUT a one-year reduced dues (50%) period for the Fall 2014/15 academic year. Following discussion, a motion was made by J. Detrani, seconded by M. McGuiness, that Rep Council collect local dues fee of $10 per member for the part time adjuncts. This passed unanimously.
- Promotion review committee is studying issues that have arisen in the promotion process regarding the frequency of chair review. This committee will determine whether there needs to be a minimum number of reviews or even a uniform number.
- Fred, Dave, Joe and Meghan will be participating in a NYSUT Organizing Institute to help develop best practices for locals in May.
Vice President’s Report:
- There are currently no grievances.
- Labor-Management Committee (Dave, Fred, Joe) has continued to negotiate with administration some equivalencies for converting credit hours to clock hours. Fred and Dave were pleased to see that the IRS conversions later released matched FA’s proposal.
- It has been 8 weeks since FA submitted a proposal to clarify language relevant to Independent Study. There has been little response from administration in that time. It will be on the March 27th agenda.
- FA resolved an issue for part time faculty in the Communications Department. It resulted in a positive outcome for faculty and the FA. Jason Detrani expressed the thanks of the part time faculty and the entire department to Fred and Dave for their work.
- Fred and Dave asked Howard to stress to 12 month faculty that per article 16 of the contract, 12 month people do NOT have to work on a holiday when there are no classes. If they do, it’s a comp day.
- FA has signed MOU’s with the administration regarding the Recognition Increment and Holiday Compensation clarification.
- Julie and Dave negotiated a new Dental Contract. Excellus initially proposed a 3.8% rate hike. Dave and Julie negotiated this down to less than 2%. The increase to Family Prime Blue subscribers will be under $4, and for individuals, under one dollar.
- Julie discussed the difficulties FA has collecting dental premium payments. The FA ends up subsidizing late-payers, which is unfair to the Association, to the Treasurer, and to those members who do pay on time. Discussion followed. It was decided by Rep Council that non-payment will result in dropped coverage. FA will send an announcement with a deadline for payment. Once that date has passed, non-payers will be dropped from Dental coverage. (Motion by R. Woods, second by H. Streby. Passed unanimously.)
- Because the college provides 100% coverage of individual dental to FA members, Excellus would like a waiver for those members who opt out of coverage. An opt-out form will be developed.
- NYSUT recommends that the Treasurer NOT be the person responsible for membership and roster management. Rob Woods volunteered to help study this issue and work with Julie.
The next Rep Council meetings are: March 20, April 24, and May 8th at 3:00 in B-208.
Motion to adjourn made at 4:15 PM by H. Streby, seconded by T. Skinner. Unanimous.